Honeycomb Smart Contract Hackathon is a three-week virtual hackathon focused on connecting the world of smart contracts and decentralized applications to real-world data from some of the world’s premier data providers.
Using Honeycomb’s broad list of APIs connected to the Ethereum blockchain through Chainlink oracles, developers will be able to enrich their smart contracts with data from categories like crypto, forex and traditional market rates, weather, sports scores and odds (for both traditional and e-sports), flight schedules and more. For data-aggregation, developers will be able to connect to the entire catalogue of Honeycomb APIs through multiple reliable Chainlink oracles, or use the free Honeycomb Ropsten testnet oracle.
The hackathon starts on Wednesday, November 20th, and participating applications should be submitted through Devpost by Wednesday, December 11th, 11pm ET.
APIs available for hackathon participants:
- Aeris Weather - Weather data
- Aviation Edge - Flight schedules
- Brave New Coin - Crypto market data
- PeakMetrics - News data
- Coinlayer - Crypto market rates
- Crowdscores - Soccer scores
- Currencylayer - Forex rates
- Daneel - Blockchain news and market data
- Data Sports Group - Sports scores and statistics
- EOD Historical Data - Traditional market rates
- Fixer - Forex rates
- Geo DB Cities - Global City and Region Data
- Ipstack - IP geolocation
- NeutrinoAPI - Utility functions, inc. SMS and email outputs
- Regulus - Company details database
- Sports Open Data - Sports data
- SteamAPIs - Steam marketplace data
- Tatum Blockchain API - Blockchain data
- TheRundown - Sports scores and odds
- Twinword - Text analysis
- World Weather Online - Weather data
Participants need to be over 18 years of age, and adhere to the hackathon rules.
What Should I Build?
We encourage developers to create applications that make them excited about the future of smart contracts and decentralized applications.
All submissions need to include an integration of at least one Honeycomb API
Smart contract applications submitted for the hackathon need to include a state change that is executed by a data input from at least one Honeycomb-listed API through at least one Chainlink oracle (mainnet or Ropsten). Honeycomb provides developers with free access to API test calls through a Ropsten testnet oracle.
How to join:
1. Register for the hackathon here on Devpost by clicking the green button (top right on this page)
2. Create a Honeycomb account at honeycomb.market
3. Come up with an idea for a cool smart contract application (consider requirements and judging criteria, some inspiration here)
4. Build your cool smart contract application (see documents, resources and tutorials below)
5. Submit, at minimum, a link to your application + a description of the application through Devpost before December 11th 2019, 11pm ET (you may also provide additional information in the submission, such as a link to a video showcasing the application)
Documents and Resources:
- Honeycomb API Marketplace - To get access to the APIs, you will first need to register an account on Honeycomb
- Honeycomb Wiki - A collection of resources to guide you in Honeycomb-connected dapp development
- Chainlink documentation - To learn more about Chainlink, and for help in integrating their oracles, check the official Chainlink documentation
- Smart contract inspiration by Chainlink - If you haven't come up with your killer app quite yet, Chainlink has complied a list of 44 cool use cases to get your mind racing
- Honeycomb Discord - The official Discord channel for discussions around Honeycomb and the hackathon
- CLC Group / Honeycomb Telegram - For general, not necessarily hackathon-related discussions around Honeycomb
- CLC Group / Honeycomb blog - For more information about our project, our partners and our data providers
$12,250 in prizes
Cash prize of $3000
Cash prize of $2000
Cash prize of $1000
3 x $1000 in LINK
World Weather Online Challenge
Best use of the World Weather Online API
1st Place - Cash prize of $1000
2nd Place - Cash prize of $750
3rd Place - Cash prize of $500
Best use of Tatum Blockchain API
Best use of Tatum Blockchain API receives a 6-month Developer Plan (400k API calls/month, 20 API calls/s) worth $954.
All submissions that include an integration of the Tatum Blockchain API receive a 3-month Idea Plan (200k API calls/month, 10 API calls/s), worth $237.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
CEO / Honeycomb, CLC Group
CTO / Honeycomb, CLC Group
Developer Advocate / Chainlink
Director / World Weather Online
Honeycomb Smart Contract Hackathon Top 3:
Does the submission demonstrate real-world applicability by including a practical business model, a strong user-value adding feature, or possibly a viral engine that makes the application relevant for users beyond just the crypto sphere?
Functionality, User Experience and Design
Does the submission function as described? Is it well designed in both its user experience and appearance?
Input Combinations and Aggregation
Smart contracts featuring creative combinations of several different API data inputs, or using aggregation to combine inputs from multiple APIs into a single data point earn bonus points from the judges.
Judge's Choices by Chainlink:
Use of Chainlink Oracles
You must successfully use Chainlink oracles, and the data fetched by the oracle must trigger a state change in the smart contract.
You must share how you treat this retrieved data. For example, do you use a median, weighted average, or some other aggregation formula?
It is preferred, but not required, that the data used will be collected from multiple oracles to show the decentralized application of Chainlink.